Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Big Basin Redwoods

Our Saturday adventure this past weekend was perfect. We slept in a bit, had pancakes for breakfast, got ready, then hit the road for the Big Basin Redwoods.


Hudson napped on the drive, which was perfect as it prevented him from experiencing nausea like I did.  The road we took to get to our destination was unreal.  It was by far the most windy road I have ever been on.  The road didn't have a middle line, as it wasn't really wide enough for 2 cars, and bikers were all over.  The good thing about this road is that it was in the middle of a forest.  It was absolutely gorgeous.  Specks of light would break through the trees every now and then, but it was mainly filled with a soft, golden glow filtering through tree tops.  I wish I had taken a photo, but the though alone of pulling out a camera made me even more car sick. The forest was filled with redwoods, trees whose branches don't start for a ways up, so we just saw trunk after trunk.  These trees grow tall and wide, so we saw some hefty fellas.  Many curves in the road went around these giants, or rather between them, thus narrowing the road even more.  I must admit I had a few freak outs as we passed cars coming in the opposite direction, while rounding a corner and having a biker on our side, and going between trees.  Im surprised we didn't die. And I'm surprised I didn't loose my breakfast.  Hudson woke when we were a little ways out, and cried for the last 2 miles.  The carsickness hit him and it broke my heart.


When we arrived at the park, I jumped out with Hudson.  We desperately needed fresh air.  Colby went and paid for parking at the ranger station and I told him I would meet him in the lot and we'd just walk over.  Well, long story short, the main lot was full and there were signs pointing to what we thought was a back lot. Colby kept driving, and I started freaking out when I realized he was passed the lot and out onto back roads that split in multiple directions.  I had no clue where he was.  Our phones had no service (and mine was in the car...I had myself and Hudson.). I had no idea how I would reunited with Colby or if he even realized he had just left me stranded.  Not the 50 foot walk to the car I had envisioned.  Eventually Colby came driving back down the road I was walking up and I started crying.  I had just borrowed someones phone to unsuccessfully call Colby and I was terrified.  (as i type this, I realize I sound ridiculous, but really, it was scary and Colby agreed that it would have been tough finding each other.)

I got back in the car and we found a parking spot back in the main lot. Figures.  We had lunch at a picnic table then heading out into the woods.  The first part was more of a nature walk--a .5 mile loop through the biggest trees in the park.  We saw "Mother of the Forest" and "Father of the Forest"; both were over 15 feet wide and over 320 feet tall.  These things were huge!  "Mother" actually had a hollowed out bottom and we stood inside it.  It was kind of eerie, actually.  After the walk, we headed back on the trails.  I'm not sure how far we hiked, but once we could hear a constant buzz of mosquitoes and knew it was approaching dinner time, we turned around and headed back.  It was so breath-taking and beautiful back in the woods and smelled of pine, one of my favorite scents.  Without cell service, we could really just enjoy each others company.  Hudson was seriously such a trooper.  He was packed around in his backpack (I carried him about half the time!!) and just took everything in. He was so giggly and cuddly while I had him, which was fun.  He also discovered the joy of pulling my ponytail.  That was fun--not. But it actually kind of was because H is kind of adorable when he discovers new things like pony-tail pulling. Hudson fell asleep toward the end and slept rather peacefully for about 30 minutes--just enough to get him through the day until he conked out for 40 minutes of our drive home.

We took a different "less windy" route home, which was still quite windy. Again, I got sick.  Hudson's ears had altitude pressure he couldn't relieve, so once we got down from the hills, we were all much better off. With it being past 7, we decided to stop for dinner. Our alternative was scrambled eggs at home. Apparently I need to grocery shop. We ate at Pacific Catch and it hit the spot.  I really enjoyed being out to dinner at a sit-down place and couldn't really think of the last time we had done that just Colby and I (and our tag-along Hudson). It was the perfect end to a perfect day.


No comments: