Monday, July 8, 2013

San Francisco

Keeping on track with our 12 weeks of adventure, we headed into San Francisco this weekend.  We drove in rather than taking public transportation and parked up by pier 35 at a flat rate garage for $15--a great rate for the area. We really didn't have a plan for the day.  Alcatraz tickets were sold out online, but we thought we would see if anything was available in person.  If there wasn't anything, we could do Pier 39 and explore some of the city. We checked on tickets.  Sold out until July 29th.  Guess you really have to plan ahead on that one.

We headed over to the pier and walked around for a bit out to the end and looked across at Alcatraz and the Sea Lion docks.  Because it's summer, there was only one sea lion!  We ate sourdough bread bowls with soup and sandwiched for lunch then headed over to look at a WWII Liberty ship and submarine, then walked over to Ghiradelli Square.  I wasn't feeling very great, so scratched my determination of splitting a Ghiradelli sundae with Colby.  I guess we will have to do that another trip. 

As Hudson woke up, we walked down to a park on the shore and played for a bit. We seriously contemplated hitting up the Dodgers vs. Giants game and headed back to the car to drop off our stroller.  We looked into tickets through the giants site and craigslist and decided to head to the stadium to see if we could find anything from a scalper.  As we waited for the street car, we decided it wasn't a guarantee to get tickets (and we were already an hour late--knowing Hudson wouldn't last a whole game anyway) and would rather take the opportunity of having our car in the city and driving around to explore.  I am so glad we did!  

We headed over to Lomard street--the windiest street in the world--and drove down that.  We waited a bit for our turn, but really enjoyed the street and the views of the city from atop Nob Hill. We then headed over to cross the Golden Gate Bridge.  (see video from both in the below post.)  It was kind of neat to drive across such a monumental landmark of the state and US.  We went to the overlook area on the other side and got out for pictures.  Fog and wind had rolled in and Hudson wasn't a happy camper about the situation.  We headed back across the bridge,and checked off one of my bucket list items--a kiss on the golden gate bridge with my forever love--romantic, I know.  I envisioned a nice sunny day accompanied by a stroll across the bridge, but a quick smooch with the Husband while he was driving fit much better into our situation. I digress. As we went to pay our toll, we headed to the carpool/discounted lane and then realized as we were at the booth that it was a FasTrack lane only and noone was in the booth.  The sign said proceed, so we did.  We are hoping we don't get a ticket in the mail!  It was an honest mistake.  We looked and realized no one was in any booth, so they either weren't collecting tolls, or its all electronic and rather than a ticket in the mail, we will get a bill.  Only time will tell.

We were ready to head home, but as we were getting back to the city, I caught a glimpse of the Palace of Fine Arts.  I really wanted to see this, but wasn't sure where it was.  We swung by and loved it (and the beautiful swans)!  It was a beautiful and immaculate monument.  We were surprised to read it was originally built in 1915 as a structure that would last only a year for a fair.  Later it was rebuilt to be permanent.  We decided we would love to live in the cute row homes across from the park.  A little out of our price range, though. Just a guess. As we headed home, we made a final detour to see the Painted Ladies on Postcard row.  The drive home was quick--about 30 minutes.  Not a bad drive at all.  We had such a fun day and Hudson really was a trooper through all of it.  He got in his first nap on the drive there, then took an hour nap in the stroller while walking around.  He is really quite the adaptable child.  I guess we will keep him around. ;)


Brittany H said...

Looks like a fun outing! I had to wonder though....just why were you were feeling sick? :)

Katie said...

oh brittany. you are too funny! Colby said the same thing!! But no. I think I ate a bad cheeseburger a couple days before/had a 24 hour bug (not sure which) and i was having residual symptoms. I guess. Ha. Not really sure.