Tuesday, May 6, 2008

ROMA

We have been in Rome for a day and a half. I have wanted to come here for awhile and have absolutely loved it!! I love that you can just be strolling along the street and turn to see some famous building or monument. When we arrived, Professor Johnson took us out to gelato at an amazing place. We passed the Spanish steps and the Trevi Fountain on our way to the gelato place. One of the things I was most excited to see was the Trevi Fountain. It was magnificent! We went back later and saw it at night and it was a whole other experience. We left Trevi and went to Giolitti, the best gelato place in the world! I got strawberry, raspberry and lemon flavors. Amazing! We began walking while eating our gelato and as we turned the corner to walk into a piazza, we saw the Pantheon. I didn't expect that at all. Honestly, it was breath taking. It was nothing like I had imagined; much larger than I expected. It was so neat to stand looking at this great building while eating gelato. I can't wait to go back in a few days. I love being here in Rome.
Trevi Fountain
Throwing coins into the Trevi Fountain. This is suppose to guarentee a return trip to Rome.
(Torrie, Noelle, Natalie, me, Jackie)
Pantheon!!!
Today I woke up at 5:40, thinking it was 6:40, becuase I forgot to change my clock from Greece. Ugh. I was ready by 8 (i thought) and wondering why my roommate was still asleep. I asked someone else what time it was and found out it was 7. I went back to sleep for an hour. It was marvelous. We went as a group to the Coloseum and Forum. I was so neat to learn about all of this stuff while standing there. I constantly imagine what it would have been like to live so long ago. After we were finished with the group, we strolled along the streets and found a great sandwich shop. I got a ham, mozeralla, and basil sandwich. MMMM.... Italian food is delectable. We were so exhausted from walking around so much (and staying up late talking to Colby and accidentally waking up early) that we just wandered from place to place and sat and stared at the beautiful things. We went back to the Pantheon and took a bus to St. Peters. Tomorrow we will visit a few museums. It is just never ending excitement. I will post pictures soon.
Coloseum
Roman Forum

No comments: